2022 Emerald Awards winner Cindy Rust of Davie, FL.
By: David Russell
The NatureScape Emerald Award is an annual competition that recognizes businesses, municipalities, schools, and homeowners who have crafted and maintained model Florida-style landscapes that demonstrate visible ecological practices.
The competition is now open and broken into two rounds.
In round one, the committee will evaluate and score the landscapes for the following features: overall design, plant selection, curb appeal, tree canopy, habitat value, and other special features, such as smart irrigation. Those who receive the highest scores will advance.
The judges will score the landscapes in round two and select award winners. Prior winners have typically had landscapes with mostly local native vegetation supporting local and migratory wildlife and or ecological features such as littoral planting at the water’s edge and rain gardens.
Landscapes with FLEPPC Category 1 or Category 2 invasive species are not eligible.
There are six categories to compete in Homeowner, Business, Municipality/School/Government, Special Achievement, Legacy (for prior Emerald Award winners that have continued to maintain a sustainable landscape and have enhanced landscape for five or more years), and Landscape Architects.
The application deadline is December 31, 2022; for any questions or concerns, email Rose Bechard Butman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 Award-Winning News Source, Parkland Talk. Don’t miss reading Coral Springs Talk, Coconut Creek Talk, Margate Talk, and Tamarac Talk.
- A Coral Springs native, Florida State University graduate, and eternal optimist, David strives to find the local hidden gems in South Florida. He has a strong interest in technology, finance, and comedy.
- Events2022.12.13Does Your Yard Have What it Takes to Win a 2023 NatureScape Emerald Award?
- Events2022.11.062 Marjory Stoneman Douglas DECA Students Spearhead ‘Career Closet’ Initiative
- Events2022.11.01MSD Drama Presents ‘The Importance of Being Earnest’ November 3 and 4
- Events2022.09.07Parkland Artist David Haley Brushes Away the Competition