By: Matt Rothman
Cailey Katz of North Broward Prep was named a National Merit Finalist.
A resident of Parkland, Katz became a semifinalist in the fall. In addition, she has received the Benaquisto Scholarship of $16,000 while she attends the University of Florida.
Katz was a star on the girls soccer team and, for two years, made the First Team All-Conference. This was after recuperating from a major knee injury as a sophomore. She was the athletic representative for the student senate and vice president of ‘Level the Field Club,’ which fights for gender equality in sports. She also organized a shoe drive and collected cleats for people in need.
“My time at North Broward Prep has been amazing,” Katz said. “During my four years here, I have met so many new people and become involved in many different clubs and organizations.”
Katz plans on majoring in biology on the pre-veterinary track in college.
North Broward Prep had three seniors officially commit to playing in college. Jensen Seculer from the NBP baseball team is signed to play at Marshall University. This year, he has been a major contributor to the Eagles’ 26-4 run to the State Championship.
He is 3-0 this year and has a pair of wins in the postseason, combining to toss 11.2 innings and throwing a complete game shutout in the Regional Quarterfinals against Cocoa Beach. NBP was on their third straight State Championship game but fell against Calvary Christian.
Zander Mesisdort committed to play at Methodist University and became the fifth player from the Eagles set to play in college. He played one year on the varsity football team and made 22 tackles, including one sack. The Eagles went 5-5 this past year, while Mesidort competed in the Broward-Palm Beach All-Star Game with Jaden Blackburn and Graham Mathieu.
Senior Michelle Julien is committed to continuing her fencing career at Duke University. Among their rich history in sports, the Blue Devils have won three ACC Championships.
Got News in Coconut Creek? Send it Here. Keep reading NW Broward County’s #1 News Sites: Parkland Talk, Coconut Creek Talk, Coral Springs Talk, Margate Talk, and Tamarac Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2023.05.26Coconut Creek Track and Field Competes in States for 1st Time Since 2018
- News2023.05.24North Broward Prep Student Named National Merit Finalist; 3 Seniors Announce College Picks
- News2023.05.05North Broward Prep Varsity and Middle School Baseball Win Championship; Former Star Makes MLB Debut
- News2023.04.213 Local Football Players Announce Commitment; 5 Players Selected to Showcases