By: Matt Rothman
It was a great weekend for the Marjory Stoneman Douglas wrestling team, with Charles Dion winning first place in the Cypress Bay Tournament.
The Eagles finished in second out of 11 teams. They saw David Leiva, Lucca Azzarelli, and Aris Skarecki place second as Azzarelli had a big semifinal win, pinning a state qualifier in the first period.
MSD closed out their dual meet season earlier in the week by defeating McArthur, Nova, and South Plantation High School to finish 15-2.
“The team really stayed together all season, and they built their success off of one another, said Head Coach Ken Gendason. “Winning the first tournament of the season set the tempo of what they believed they could accomplish, and they never looked back.”
Next, MSD will compete in Districts on February 17 at Fort Lauderdale High School.
“No matter what the final outcome this season, this wrestling team was a lot of fun to coach this season, and most of the team returns back next season,” Gendason added.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2023.05.26Coconut Creek Track and Field Competes in States for 1st Time Since 2018
- News2023.05.24North Broward Prep Student Named National Merit Finalist; 3 Seniors Announce College Picks
- News2023.05.05North Broward Prep Varsity and Middle School Baseball Win Championship; Former Star Makes MLB Debut
- News2023.04.213 Local Football Players Announce Commitment; 5 Players Selected to Showcases