By Sharon Aron Baron
Chess is bigger than ever. On February 2, Chess became the most popular free game on the iOS app store, reaching the number-one spot in 28 countries. It also featured among the top 10 in 18 other countries.
Fans of Netflix’s “The Queen’s Gambit,” who don’t know the difference between a pawn and a rook, may be interested in the City of Coconut Creek’s launch of its instructional chess club.
Open to elementary school students and adults, beginners or seasoned players, this club welcomes all skill levels and provides staff assistance to those who need help with the rules and basic strategies.
The club will be held in two sessions, with the first session catering to elementary school students ages 5 to 11. This session will take place on Wednesdays from February 15 to March 15 from 3:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. The second session is open to adults ages 18 and up and will be held on Fridays from March 3 to March 31 from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
Each session costs $20 for Coconut Creek residents and $30 for non-residents. Payment can only be made by credit card, with no cash or checks currently being accepted. The club will be held at the Recreation Complex located at 4455 Sol Press Boulevard.
Registration for the club is ongoing until filled, with a limited number of 8 participants per session. Interested individuals can register online at www.CoconutCreek.net/WebTrac or by walk-in at the Recreation Complex or the Community Center, 1100 Lyons Road. To register online, you must have a WebTrac account. For assistance with setting up a WebTrac account, please contact the Recreation Complex at 954-956-1580.
For more information about the instructional chess club, call 954-956-1580 or visit the City of Coconut Creek’s Parks website at www.CoconutCreek.net/Parks.
Got News in Coconut Creek? Send it Here. Keep reading NW Broward County’s #1 News Sites: Parkland Talk, Coconut Creek Talk, Coral Springs Talk, Margate Talk, and Tamarac Talk.
- Sharon Aron Baron is a Parkland resident and editor of Talk Media. She has been covering Parkland news since 2012. Parkland Talk was created to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Parkland.
- News2023.03.19Coconut Creek Announces 2023 Summer Day Camp Program: Enroll Now for an Unforgettable Summer Experience
- News2023.03.18Men’s 30+ Basketball League Kicks Off This Summer in Coconut Creek
- News2023.03.18Coconut Creek Serves Up Fun With Open Play Table Tennis for Adults
- News2023.03.17Coconut Creek Crime Update: Banyan Bay Burglary Victim Robbed of $2k