Anthony Rizzo’s Walk-Off for cancer in 2019.
By Kevin Maher
The Anthony Rizzo Family Foundation’s annual walk-off for cancer is back, and fans can join the three-time MLB All-Star and World Series Champion in the 5k walk.
The in-person walk begins at 9 a.m. on Saturday, December 3, and is at Pine Trails Park, at 10555 Trails End. There will also be a virtual option for fans anywhere in the United States.
In 2008, at 18, Rizzo, a then-Parkland resident, was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. As a Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School graduate and a professional baseball player, Rizzo put life on pause after the diagnosis, enduring six months of chemotherapy.
In 2012 Rizzo created his foundation to help families in their fight against cancer and make an impact on the pediatric cancer community.
“We’re excited to continue the growth in Parkland,” said Abby Suarez, the Executive Director of the Anthony Rizzo Family Foundation. “Last year, we raised $1.4 million, and we’re excited and on great pace to accomplish that again this year.”
In-person participants will receive a gift bag, including an event t-shirt, a Nike drawstring bag, and a hat featuring the foundation’s dream big design. Virtual participants will be able to have their gift bags mailed to them. Rizzo will be in attendance and available for photos.
Breakfast, coffee, and a smoothie bar will be available for participants, including a Dunkin Donuts on-site. A new special kid zone with jump zones, competitions, baseball, football, and basketball areas will also be available. Individual donors can win prizes, like an autographed baseball, jersey, and bat.
Registration is available online here.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 News Source, Parkland Talk. Don’t miss reading Coral Springs Talk, Margate Talk, and Tamarac Talk.
- Kevin Maher is a University of Florida journalism graduate with an interest in investigative journalism. Kevin has also worked at The Independent Florida Alligator and WUFT News.
- News2023.03.29Coconut Creek’s Movie in the Park for March is “Sonic the Hedgehog 2”
- Events2023.03.07Coconut Creek’s Movie in the Park for March is “Sonic the Hedgehog 2”
- Events2022.11.29Coconut Creek Hosts Toddler Winter Experience on Dec. 9
- Events2022.11.27Coconut Creek Hosts Winter Extravaganza with Crafts, Music and Food Trucks