By Kevin Deutsch
Book lovers, your paradise awaits.
The Parkland Friends of the Library Used Book Fair is happening Saturday, Sept. 10, at the Parkland Library, 6620 University Dr. Fairgoers can buy books at significant discounts: Adult hardcover fiction and non-fiction books sell for $2 each, three for $5, or six for $8.
Adult paperback books are $1 each and also carry quantity discounts. Some children’s books sell for as low as two for $1. The books for sale have been donated by residents.
The fair runs from 9 a.m. until 1 p.m. in the outer lobby of the library.
“This isn’t just a chance to find good books at a great price; it’s also an opportunity to perpetuate the momentum of recycling books and encouraging the spirit of donating used books,” said Todd DeAngelis, spokesman for the city.
The book fair, held periodically, has its roots in the early days of the Parkland Library.
According to DeAngelis, the city’s first library was a concession stand at Quigley Park, which was a conventional park at the time and not yet a tennis center.
The library’s next home was a double-wide modular home. Back then, the library relied in some measure on donated books.
As the library grew and moved into its own building, book donations from residents kept on coming.
“People continue to read, share, rinse, and repeat,” said DeAngelis. “It’s a great expression of the core of the community.”
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 Award-Winning News Source, Parkland Talk. Don’t miss reading Coral Springs Talk, Margate Talk, and Tamarac Talk.
- Kevin Deutsch is an award-winning crime journalist and author. A graduate of Florida International University, Kevin has worked on staff at The Miami Herald, New York Daily News, and The Palm Beach Post.
- Events2022.11.22Spitfire Farm Hosts ‘Thanksgiving Break’ Equestrian Camp in Coconut Creek
- News2022.11.16Gunman Shoots Up Coconut Creek Apartment Over Video Game Dispute
- Crime & Safety2022.11.13Parkland Crime Update: Stolen Necklace and Fraud
- Crime & Safety2022.11.06Parkland Crime Update: Road Rage and Car Burglary