By: Matt Rothman
It has been quite the summer for Nick Diaz of the Florida Pokers’ 15U team.
Playing in a tournament with 362 teams, the 15-year-old sophomore from Marjory Stoneman Douglas was named to the All-Tournament Team after going 12-17 (.706) with five doubles, eight RBIs, and scored eight runs in the team’s seven games in 15U National Championship.
He was also named to the Perfect Game 15U East Memorial Day Classic All-Tournament team after hitting a .513 with two home runs and driving 19 runs. He also hit a walk-off, three-run home run and finished the season, hitting over .440 with 29 RBIs. His team went 27-7 and finished in the top five in three of their five tournaments. He was later called up to the Florida Pokers’ 16U team and was a part of their BCS National Championship.
“Every at-bat, I had to mentally prepare myself to go up there with a plan,” said Diaz. “It was a big help from my teammates in the dugout cheering me on. Also, I credit my coaches for calming me down before stepping in the box and helping me through it all.”
Diaz played on the junior varsity team this past spring and hit .371 with an OPS of 1.021. With the Eagles having ten players graduate from 2022, he has an opportunity to move up to varsity next year and help the Eagles become the first team in Broward County ever to win three straight State Championships.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 Award-Winning News Source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsDecember 2, 2023Coconut Creek and Monarch Face-Off in Soccer; Basketball Season Begins
- NewsNovember 25, 2023Coconut Creek High School’s Football Team Incredible Season Ends in Regional Final
- NewsNovember 17, 2023Coconut Creek Football Highlights Incredible Week to Advance to Regional Championship
- NewsNovember 11, 2023Coconut Creek Football Wins Playoff Opener; Soccer Teams Begin Season