We originally reported that MSD had the third-most wins in school history according to Max Preps. This has since been corrected.
By: Matt Rothman
The Marjory Stoneman Douglas boys basketball team went 17-3 in the regular season, which was the third-most victories the team has ever had in a single season win the past 15 years
The Eagles previously won 22 games in 2005-06 and 19 during the 2008-09 season. However, coming into the District Tournament as the two seed, the Eagles were upset by Boca Raton Community High School in the first round. MSD school record for wins in a season was 27 back in 2002.
As disappointed as Head Coach Teddy Lyons was that they were unable to make a long playoff run, he is still incredibly proud of the group of players he had this year.
“I enjoyed coaching them and watching them grow,” said Coach Lyons. “They built the right culture, and those that follow have big shoes to fill. It is going to be hard to say goodbye to these seniors who were all special.”
It was also a giant step forward under Coach Lyons. The Eagles also had six players averaging at least eight points or more, led by senior Sean Sucarichi at 14 points per game. Diego Rodriguez averaged 13, while Wesley Aurelius and Nicholas Frazier went for 11. Brandon Gopaul and Ty Stevens both shot the ball from three-pointers this year.
The Eagles will return three of their top scorers in Frazier, Stevens, and Jenkins. Coach Lyons also hopes to see improvements from Jordan Thomas, Jayden Joyner, Tripp Davis, Brady Kuebler, and Jack Servaites as they will all step into bigger roles next season.
“We will be back next year, and we will be stronger and ready when this time of the year comes back,” Coach Lyons added. “These guys all feel like our season ended too early, and hopefully, they use that as motivation to come back strong.”
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2023.05.26Coconut Creek Track and Field Competes in States for 1st Time Since 2018
- News2023.05.24North Broward Prep Student Named National Merit Finalist; 3 Seniors Announce College Picks
- News2023.05.05North Broward Prep Varsity and Middle School Baseball Win Championship; Former Star Makes MLB Debut
- News2023.04.213 Local Football Players Announce Commitment; 5 Players Selected to Showcases