By: Matt Rothman
The win was their sixth of the season and third straight after losing three in a row earlier this year.
“I’m so proud of this team,” said Head Coach Quentin Short. “We could have folded and packed it end after the injuries and blowing a 21 point lead to Monarch, but these guys stuck together, and we kept improving.”
There was plenty of offense early on as both teams scored touchdowns in the first quarter. Clayton Cannon II caught a 28-yard touchdown pass from Hunter Rose while Kyle Nelson scored from three yards out.
Hunter Rose added a 16-yard rushing touchdown while Richie Maston made a 35-yard field goal. Nelson then added another touchdown to make it 27-17 in favor of MSD at halftime.
In the third quarter, both defenses started to play better, with Nelson scoring his third touchdown. With the Jaguars trying to take their first lead of the game, Chris Cepeda made a huge play with a 103-yard interception returned for a touchdown to make it 33-23.
“Coach Short looked at me and said, ‘seniors, you need to make a play,’ and at that moment, I knew I had to make something happen,” Cepeda said. “Calvin Fowler plays amazing coverage on the backside receiver, and the rest is history.”
Wilson then added another score, and Daniel Bobes recovered a fumble and added a touchdown to stretch the lead to 17 before Joshua Pena caught a 77 yard touchdown pass late in the fourth quarter.
Up next, both teams will likely have a chance to play in the postseason. Playoff brackets are set to be released on Sunday, November 7, as both teams finish the regular season with six wins.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsDecember 2, 2023Coconut Creek and Monarch Face-Off in Soccer; Basketball Season Begins
- NewsNovember 25, 2023Coconut Creek High School’s Football Team Incredible Season Ends in Regional Final
- NewsNovember 17, 2023Coconut Creek Football Highlights Incredible Week to Advance to Regional Championship
- NewsNovember 11, 2023Coconut Creek Football Wins Playoff Opener; Soccer Teams Begin Season