By: Matt Rothman
After winning their first District Title in 18 years, the Marjory Stoneman Douglas football team hopes to repeat it in 2020 as they begin their season at Coral Springs High School on Thursday, October 29, at 7 p.m.
With Head Coach Quentin Short at the helm, it will be a different looking team from last year. So far, he likes what he has seen from his players as they enter the regular season after a hiatus due to Covid-19.
Leading the team on offense is Matt O’Dowd, who is entering his senior year on the varsity football team. In 2019, the highly-talented quarterback threw for nearly 1,400 yards and ran for 52 yards.
O’Dowd, who threw for 15 touchdown passes, was helped out significantly from the University of Miami commit, Michael McLaughlin, who protected him on the offensive line. He will also be joined on the offensive by senior Demetri Robinson.
At running back, the Eagles are expecting a big year from A.J. Darring and Derek Geffrard. They should also see big time performaces from Hervin Louis at wide receiver. along with Sheldon McCullum, Mark Dorsett, and Chris Spencer.
Defensively, Alex Brotton is the lone starter from the defensive line and will be joined by Nicholas Dobbs, Jahrell Wilson and Geovanni Vilsaint on what should be a strong defensive unit.
MSD will begin with Coral Springs High School, which has high expectations with new coach Leonard Weaver. The Eagles defeated the Colts 41-19 and have not lost to their arch-rival since 2014.
They will follow that matchup with another conference game against Coral Glades on Thursday, November 5, which will also be senior night. The Eagles had one of their best games in 2019 against the Jaguars when they put up a season-high 52 points.
Their third game will be their lone non-conference matchup at Hallandale High School on Nov. 13, and MSD will finish their season at home against J.P. Taravella a week later on Nov. 20.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 News Source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2023.05.26Coconut Creek Track and Field Competes in States for 1st Time Since 2018
- News2023.05.24North Broward Prep Student Named National Merit Finalist; 3 Seniors Announce College Picks
- News2023.05.05North Broward Prep Varsity and Middle School Baseball Win Championship; Former Star Makes MLB Debut
- News2023.04.213 Local Football Players Announce Commitment; 5 Players Selected to Showcases