By: Matt Rothman
With the 79th pick in the second round of the 2022 MLB Draft, Marjory Stoneman Douglas outfielder Roman Anthony was selected by the Boston Red Sox.
While it has yet fully sink in, Anthony says it has been a dream ever since he was a little kid to play professional baseball.
“I. just tried to put myself into the position to get recruited by a college at first, and once you’re in the picture for the draft, you just keep working toward it,” Anthony said. “It all happens so fast, but it is pretty surreal. It’s a dream come true, and knowing that a team is really invested in you and cares for you, is a pretty special feeling.”
Anthony spent two seasons on the varsity baseball team and helped the Eagles to a pair of state titles and a championship in the National High School Baseball Invitational featuring the top 16 teams in the country. The All-American hit .545 with ten home runs and 40 RBIs as a senior and finished his high school career with 15 homers and 62 RBIs. He was also named Florida’s Gatorade Player of the Year after helping the Eagles to a record of 30-2.
Anthony is committed to playing for the reigning National Champions, Ole Miss University, next year. He will have the chance to play collegiately and re-enter the draft another time or sign with the Red Sox, where he will begin his professional career.
The slot value for the 79th pick is $820,000.
“Obviously he expected to go in the first round and so did I, but it all worked out,” said Head Coach Todd Fitz-Gerald. “He got first round money and he is going to a great organization.”
Send your News to Parkland’s #1 Award Winning News Source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2023.05.26Coconut Creek Track and Field Competes in States for 1st Time Since 2018
- News2023.05.24North Broward Prep Student Named National Merit Finalist; 3 Seniors Announce College Picks
- News2023.05.05North Broward Prep Varsity and Middle School Baseball Win Championship; Former Star Makes MLB Debut
- News2023.04.213 Local Football Players Announce Commitment; 5 Players Selected to Showcases