By: Matt Rothman
Marjory Stoneman Douglas’ Olivia Alvarez had an opportunity of a lifetime to compete for Team Colombia in the South America Bolivarian Games in Colombia on June 25-30.
Her team went 4-2 in the tournament, making it to the Gold Medal Game before they eventually took home the silver. Alvarez came in as the starting catcher in the third game and then recorded the game-winning triple in the quarterfinals.
Alvarez is currently heading into her senior season on the varsity softball team. In 39 games, she has a .352 batting average with two home runs and 24 RBIs.
While she is not yet committed to playing in college, MSD Head Coach Brian Staubly feels like that will change quickly.
“She is a team leader and a very hard worker,” Coach Staubly said. “She is extremely strong behind the plate and is a great hitter with power.”
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2023.05.26Coconut Creek Track and Field Competes in States for 1st Time Since 2018
- News2023.05.24North Broward Prep Student Named National Merit Finalist; 3 Seniors Announce College Picks
- News2023.05.05North Broward Prep Varsity and Middle School Baseball Win Championship; Former Star Makes MLB Debut
- News2023.04.213 Local Football Players Announce Commitment; 5 Players Selected to Showcases