By: Matt Rothman
It was a terrific pitching duel of Jesyne Espinal on the mound for the Eagles opposed by Isabella Castelli of Monarch. While both pitchers threw a complete game, Espinal allowed only one run while striking out nine. Castelli did not allow an earned run, but the Eagles were able to take advantage of some miscues from Monarch.
With the Knights leading 1-0 in the bottom of the fifth, Kylah Davis recorded a pinch-hit single. Kylie Sack then reached on an error advancing Davis before Victoria Diaz tied the game with an RBI single.
In the sixth, MSD took their first lead after Isabella Silva reached base with a single and came around to score on a passed ball. Espinal then struck out the side in the seventh to secure the Championship.
“It was a well-played game by both teams,” said Head Coach Brian Staubly. “It’s always great to win districts. Proud and happy for the girls.
The two teams are set to play again in Regionals on Thursday, May 12. The Eagles come in as the three seed and will host, while Monarch is the sixth seed.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsFebruary 29, 2024NBP Boys Basketball Historic Season Ends in Triple Overtime in State Semifinals
- NewsFebruary 28, 2024North Broward Prep Continues Domination With 3 Championships
- NewsFebruary 15, 20242-Time State Champion A.J. Cutler Makes College Pick
- NewsFebruary 7, 2024Coconut Creek High Wraps Up Winter Sports Season; Eye Success in the Spring