By: Matt Rothman
It was a great day for the Marjory Stoneman Douglas track and field team on Wednesday, with the girls finishing in first while the boys came in second.
Both teams, who have combined to go 11-1 this year, competed at Coral Springs High School against four other schools in Monarch Deerfield Beach, Coral Springs High School, and Coral Springs Charter.
“I am extremely proud of the way everyone ran tonight,” said Head Coach Mike Mauro. “Everyone was willing to go outside their comfort zone and dig deep to finish strong.
In total, the girl’s team won five events. Jayah Portis was a part of three of them after coming in first in the long jump, 300 hurdles, and the 4 x 100 relay team.
Arianna Abreu won the 400 meters while Morgan Melchiorri took first in the 3,200 meters.
The Eagles also had several second-place finishes with Sabrina Acevedo, Arianna Abreu, Ne’Rya Russel, Naomi Grissette, and the 4 x 400 relay team of Abreu, Zeff, Addison Krajczewski, Ne’Rya Vassell.
In total, MSD finished with 115.15 points, nearly 40 points more than Coral Springs High School.
The boys had their 4 x 400 relay team in Alex Black, Traejon Roberts, Deandre Mofford, and Jasiah Clapp, and the 4 x 800 relay team Andres Abreu, Deandre Mofford, Connor Mazilli, and Emery Jackson come in first. James Bronzwaig won the javelin and came in second in the discus.
Roberts, Calvin Fowler, Lucas Marrick, Ethan Engleman, Connor Mazzilli, Vasco Velarde, Luke Williams, Deandre Mofford, Vasco Velarde, Maddox Hasse, Devaun D’Haiti, and Robert Peart finished top five or better in their respective events.
MSD finished 43 points back of Coral Springs High School, but 26 points ahead of Coral Springs Charter to finish second.
Next, the Eagles will compete in the Water Dix Relay on Saturday, March 5, at Coral Springs High School.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2023.05.26Coconut Creek Track and Field Competes in States for 1st Time Since 2018
- News2023.05.24North Broward Prep Student Named National Merit Finalist; 3 Seniors Announce College Picks
- News2023.05.05North Broward Prep Varsity and Middle School Baseball Win Championship; Former Star Makes MLB Debut
- News2023.04.213 Local Football Players Announce Commitment; 5 Players Selected to Showcases