By: Matt Rothman
For the first time in 11 years, the Marjory Stoneman Douglas wrestling team won the District Tournament held at Fort Lauderdale High School.
MSD also had 14 wrestlers qualify for Regionals as well as five athletes come in first place, including David Leiva (106), Lorenzo Pelligrini (113), Lenny Cipolla (132), Vincent Dion (152), and Charles Dion (170).
Four wrestlers finished as the runner-ups: Daniel Alvarez (120), Nikolas Inzerillo (126), Jackson Zajkowski (182), and Tucker Jean (220).
Xander Kooby (195) and Aris Skarecki (285) came in third. Caleb Hebert (145), Christian Montoya (138), and Lucas Siqueira (160) earned fourth place after not having the chance to compete in the postseason a year ago due to COVID-19.
“To come back one year later and qualify an entire team to the Regional Championships is a testament to these kids how they have wrestled for each other all season long, ” said Head Coach Coach Gendason.
Assistant Coach Daniel Sanchez promised to coach Chris Hixon’s wife, Debbi, that he would bring home a District Championship to honor Coach Hixon, fulfilling that promise.
Next, the Eagles will compete at Regionals starting on February 26th at G. Holmes Braddock Senior High School in Miami.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2023.05.26Coconut Creek Track and Field Competes in States for 1st Time Since 2018
- News2023.05.24North Broward Prep Student Named National Merit Finalist; 3 Seniors Announce College Picks
- News2023.05.05North Broward Prep Varsity and Middle School Baseball Win Championship; Former Star Makes MLB Debut
- News2023.04.213 Local Football Players Announce Commitment; 5 Players Selected to Showcases