Roman Anthony hits a walk-off hit against North Broward Prep.
By: Matt Rothman
It was one of the most highly anticipated regular-season games this year, and it did not disappoint.
Marjory Stoneman Douglas and North Broward Preparatory School, who each won State Championships in 2021, faced off for the first time this season on Tuesday. With both teams coming in with a combined 11 wins this year, MSD scored two runs in the seventh to win on a walk-off from Roman Anthony.
On the mound, a pair of University of Florida commit’s in Christian Arroyo and Yoel Tejada faced off. It was another Gator commit in Jacob Gomberg that got the win. He struck out four in two innings after Arroyo struck out ten in five innings.
“I was happy to be able to pitch well for my team,” Arroyo said. “It was a really good game, but our resiliency and hard work paid off in the end.”
Cameron Harris opened the scoring for the Eagles with a home run. MSD had only four hits, but after Devin Fitz-Gerald was hit by a pitch and Rolando Lujo walked, Anthony had the walk-off hit.
“Our guys worked some great at-bats to get me up in that situation, and I had nothing but confidence as I got up to the plate,” said Anthony. “It’s great to get a win against anyone regardless of who they may be.”
MSD then was back on the field on Wednesday and defeated Farragut High School (Tennessee). Harris, Santiago Ordonez, Alex Rodriguez, Nikko Benestad. Dillon Moquin and Fitz-Gerald recorded RBIs while Jake Clemente, Brandon Rodriguez, and Christian Rodriguez combined for the shutout.
Next, the Eagles will play Park Vista High School in their next game on Tuesday, March 22, at 6:30 p.m. These two teams met in the Regional Semifinals in 2021 when MSD won 5-3. The Cobras are currently 8-2 this season.
Send to Coral Springs #1 Award-Winning News Site Here.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2023.05.26Coconut Creek Track and Field Competes in States for 1st Time Since 2018
- News2023.05.24North Broward Prep Student Named National Merit Finalist; 3 Seniors Announce College Picks
- News2023.05.05North Broward Prep Varsity and Middle School Baseball Win Championship; Former Star Makes MLB Debut
- News2023.04.213 Local Football Players Announce Commitment; 5 Players Selected to Showcases