By: Matt Rothman
North Broward Prep girls soccer team advanced to the State Championship for the first time in school history after winning Regionals with the help of four Parkland residents.
Cailey Katz, Sami Cohen, Sophie Bigelman, and Sienna Lopez were part of the team that won 11 games in the regular season and then picked up two more to win a District Championship.
They went on to play in Regionals and defeated Coral Springs Charter and Immaculata La Salle High School before beating Palmer Trinity School in the Regional Finals in penalty kicks. After the game was scoreless through two overtimes, Katz, Leah Finkelman, Cat Bastos, Kendall Watts, and Yaira Espinosa recorded goals.
Next, the Eagles will head into States as the three seed and will play Benjamin High School on Friday, February 18 at 6 p.m. The Buccaneers went 15-1-1 and also won Districts and Regionals. The winner of this game will play either Lakeland Christian or Providence School in the State Final on February 23 at 1:05 p.m.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 award-winning news source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2023.05.26Coconut Creek Track and Field Competes in States for 1st Time Since 2018
- News2023.05.24North Broward Prep Student Named National Merit Finalist; 3 Seniors Announce College Picks
- News2023.05.05North Broward Prep Varsity and Middle School Baseball Win Championship; Former Star Makes MLB Debut
- News2023.04.213 Local Football Players Announce Commitment; 5 Players Selected to Showcases