By: Matt Rothman
North Broward Prep has another player set to play college basketball in Shea Laursen.
After graduating this spring, the senior is committed to playing at Oberlin College in Ohio. Despite all the uncertainty over the past few years, Shea says it is a dream come true.
“After filtering through many colleges, it is a huge relief to know where I’m going,” said Shea. “At some points, I wasn’t even sure I was going to find a college to play at, but I just kept working, and it paid off in the end.”
Since sixth grade, Shea began playing basketball to fulfill his sports requirement and continued to do so throughout middle school. In ninth grade, he began playing travel. and started training seriously after tenth grade.
Shea transferred to North Broward after playing varsity basketball last year for Blue Ridge School in St. George, Virginia. Laursen had his best season come as a junior during his varsity career when he averaged 21.4 points per game.
Shea was close with Coach Cade Lemcke and developed a great relationship with his teammates and coaches from North Broward Prep.
After much consideration, Shea wanted a college that provided a solid education, appropriately challenged his intellectual capabilities, and believed Oberlin would sufficiently do so.
Shea credits his father, Christopher Laursen, for all the hard work he has put in.
“My dad is the person who has done the most to get me to this point,” Shea added. “From rebounding for me in the gym to driving me to camps, he has thoroughly supported me throughout these last few years.”
Got News in Coconut Creek? Send it Here. Keep reading NW Broward County’s #1 News Sites: Parkland Talk, Coconut Creek Talk, Coral Springs Talk, Margate Talk, and Tamarac Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2023.05.26Coconut Creek Track and Field Competes in States for 1st Time Since 2018
- News2023.05.24North Broward Prep Student Named National Merit Finalist; 3 Seniors Announce College Picks
- News2023.05.05North Broward Prep Varsity and Middle School Baseball Win Championship; Former Star Makes MLB Debut
- News2023.04.213 Local Football Players Announce Commitment; 5 Players Selected to Showcases