By: Matt Rothman
For the first time in his career, former Marjory Stoneman Douglas graduate Coby Mayo made his spring training debut with the Baltimore Orioles against Anthony Rizzo and the New York Yankees.
Mayo graduated from MSD in 2020 and was selected in the fourth round. He received his first invite to play for the Baltimore Orioles Wednesday night against the New York Yankees. While Rizzo did not play, Mayo made his debut in the bottom of the seventh at third base with the Yankees leading 7-1. He also flew out to center field in his only at-bat against Zach Greene in the ninth.
Over three seasons at MSD, Mayo hit 13 home runs and scored 61 runs. He was successful on 17/18 stolen bases while having a slick glove at shortstop, and is expected to continue to rise through the Orioles organization. He is currently the team’s seventh-ranked prospect.
Rizzo is entering his second season with the Yankees after signing earlier this month. After agreeing to a two-year contract worth $32 million, he is expected to be their first baseman.
In four spring training at-bats this year as the teams’ lead-off hitter, Rizzo is 1-4. Both teams will have roughly three more weeks of spring training before opening day on April 15.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2023.03.3017 North Broward Prep Student-Athletes Win Conference Awards
- News2023.03.307 Student-Athletes From Monarch and Coconut Creek Receive Conference Awards
- News2023.03.28North Broward Prep Hockey Wins 2 Games in National Tournament
- News2023.03.26Monarch High School’s Brayden Slade Commits to Dream School