By: Matt Rothman
Nearly eight months since their last game, the Marjory Stoneman Douglas boys and girls lacrosse teams were back in action this week after picking up their first wins.
Last season, the two combined to win 17 games in 2021 after winning Districts. The girls also advanced to the Regional final before falling to St. Thomas Aquinas High School.
They started their season out with a loss to Kings Academy 11-9 despite leading for most of the game. However, they quickly evened up their record with a win on Thursday against North Broward Prep.
Sophomore star Darren Edenbaum recorded five goals and has six already this season. He added four assists as Jordan Sullivan also scored twice to highlight a 20-2 win.
Next, the Eagles will have two games this week when they face Saint Andrew’s School and Belen Jesuit, as both teams have combined to go 3-0 this year.
They opened up the season with an 18-2 win over West Boca Raton Community High School.
“It was a fun first night out, and I was glad that our seniors stepped up,” said Head Coach Kristina Stein.
Skylar Gerena scored four goals to lead the team. Gigi Sgammato had three, while Kaitlyn Irwin recorded two goals. Julianne LoFurno led the Eagles defense in front of goaltender Bree Rhodes, who had four saves and an interception.
Next, MSD will play American Heritage High School on Tuesday, February 22 at 5 p.m. before playing Oxbridge Academy on February 24.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2023.03.19Coconut Creek and Monarch Compete in BCAA Track and Field Championship
- News2023.03.17North Broward Prep Tennis Teams Combine For 9 Early Season Wins
- News2023.03.17North Broward Prep’s Alex Wigginton Makes College Pick
- News2023.03.13Michael Frederick’s Overtime Goal Lifts Florida Junior Panthers to State Championship