By: Matt Rothman
According to Head Coach David Berke, swimming is often seen as an individual sport, but every point from every swim adds up.
That teamwork helped Marjory Stoneman Douglas win first and second place at District Championships on Wednesday at Coral Springs Aquatic Center with eight teams competing.
The boys’ team finished with 348 points, which was .5 more than Fort Lauderdale High School, and are set to have three relay teams compete in Regionals and several other swimmers.
The 400 freestyle relay team finished as District Champions. Swimmers were Miguel Kocoglu, Frank Etchevers, Joshua Park, and Lorenzo Herek, who also won the 100-yard backstroke. They will compete in multiple regional races along with Alexander Nichols and Max Georgiev.
“The boy’s team showed tremendous teamwork this season, and everyone stepped up to do their part,” said Berke
The girls came in second place with 379.50 points, only behind Fort Lauderdale High School.
They will have two relay teams compete in Regionals, including the 200-yard medley, which came in first. Those swimmers were Anna Rosa, Valeria Anzures, Carolyn Levy-Powell, and Payton Ward.
Rosa, Daniella Balkcom, Levy-Powell, and Anzures all won individual championships.
MSD earned the top three spots in the 100-yard backstroke and will send Viviana Fernandez, Raquel Uittenbogaard, Sophia El Chantiry, Kayleigh Didovvic, Payton Ward, and Allyson Lake to Regionals.
“Our girls put in the work this season, and their efforts paid off,” Coach Berke said. “They had a strong showing at Districts with several top place finishes and took second overall.”
Next, MSD will compete in Regionals on Wednesday, Oct. 26, at Coral Springs Aquatic Center.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 Award-Winning News Source, Parkland Talk. Don’t miss reading Coral Springs Talk, Margate Talk, and Tamarac Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2023.03.19Coconut Creek and Monarch Compete in BCAA Track and Field Championship
- News2023.03.17North Broward Prep Tennis Teams Combine For 9 Early Season Wins
- News2023.03.17North Broward Prep’s Alex Wigginton Makes College Pick
- News2023.03.13Michael Frederick’s Overtime Goal Lifts Florida Junior Panthers to State Championship