By: Matt Rothman
Marjory Stoneman Douglas’ Olivia Alvarez had an opportunity of a lifetime to compete for Team Colombia in the South America Bolivarian Games in Colombia on June 25-30.
Her team went 4-2 in the tournament, making it to the Gold Medal Game before they eventually took home the silver. Alvarez came in as the starting catcher in the third game and then recorded the game-winning triple in the quarterfinals.
Alvarez is currently heading into her senior season on the varsity softball team. In 39 games, she has a .352 batting average with two home runs and 24 RBIs.
While she is not yet committed to playing in college, MSD Head Coach Brian Staubly feels like that will change quickly.
“She is a team leader and a very hard worker,” Coach Staubly said. “She is extremely strong behind the plate and is a great hitter with power.”
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2023.03.19Coconut Creek and Monarch Compete in BCAA Track and Field Championship
- News2023.03.17North Broward Prep Tennis Teams Combine For 9 Early Season Wins
- News2023.03.17North Broward Prep’s Alex Wigginton Makes College Pick
- News2023.03.13Michael Frederick’s Overtime Goal Lifts Florida Junior Panthers to State Championship