By: Matt Rothman
Marjory Stoneman Douglas’s swim team completed a fantastic season, with ten swimmers participating in the State Championship on Saturday.
Held at the Sailfish Splash Aquatic Athletics Center in Stuart, the Eagles had their best relay result come from their 200-yard medley relay team. After advancing through preliminaries, the Eagles finished 13th with a time of 1:51:68.
That team featured Carolyn Powell, Valeria Anzures, Sophia El-Chantiry, and Payton Ward.
Also, Anna Rosa, Daniella Balkcom, Payton Ward, and Carolyn Powell finished 14th in the 4×400 preliminaries to move on to the final.
The lone relay team for the boys consisted of Miguel Kocoglu, Frank Etchevers, Joshua Park, and Lorenzo Herek. While they did not move on to the finals, they did record a terrific time of 3.21:24.
Individually, Powell swam in the 100-yard breaststroke and finished tenth. Herek Also competed in the preliminaries in the 50-yard freestyle and 100-yard backstroke.
“It was certainly a highlight of the season to have 10 swimmers make it to states,” said Head Coach Dvid Berke. ” It was a nice change to travel and compete at that level after the past few seasons with so many COVID protocols and restrictions. What a great way for the seniors to end their high school swim careers.”
Those seniors are Rosa, Ward, Kocoglu and Park while they will have many key swimmers return next year.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 Award-Winning News Source, Parkland Talk. Don’t miss reading Coral Springs Talk, Margate Talk, and Tamarac Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2023.03.19Coconut Creek and Monarch Compete in BCAA Track and Field Championship
- News2023.03.17North Broward Prep Tennis Teams Combine For 9 Early Season Wins
- News2023.03.17North Broward Prep’s Alex Wigginton Makes College Pick
- News2023.03.13Michael Frederick’s Overtime Goal Lifts Florida Junior Panthers to State Championship