By: Matt Rothman
Marjory Stoneman Douglas’ wrestling team kicked off their season with a first-place finish at the Coral Springs Wrestling Tournament on Saturday.
Held at Coral Springs High School, the Eagles, who had their season cut short right before Districts, have 40 players with 15 competing. The team is also extremely young, with only five seniors.
“These wrestlers have been together through the good and tough times, said Head Coach Ken Gendason. “We were fortunate to get some new great additions to add to the wrestlers we have had in the program.”
Leading the way individually for MSD were David Leiva, Lenny Cipolla, and Charles Dion. They won nine matches between the three and first in their respective weight class.
Gaby Caro and Lucca Azzarelli each came in second, going 2-1, while Xander Kooby came in third. Diego Enciso and Vicent Dion competed in six matches and won four.
Tyler Lowe, Jackson Zajkowski, Lorenzo Pellegrini, Caleb Hebert, Grayson Starling, and Rocco Duygulu all won at least one match on Saturday.
Next, MSD will compete in the Bear Down Duals at Mater Lakes Academy on Saturday, December 11.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2023.03.19Coconut Creek and Monarch Compete in BCAA Track and Field Championship
- News2023.03.17North Broward Prep Tennis Teams Combine For 9 Early Season Wins
- News2023.03.17North Broward Prep’s Alex Wigginton Makes College Pick
- News2023.03.13Michael Frederick’s Overtime Goal Lifts Florida Junior Panthers to State Championship