By: Matt Rothman
For the third straight season, the North Broward Preparatory School’s varsity girls soccer team won the District Championship.
The team consists of four players from Parkland in Cailey Katz, Sami Cohen, Sophie Bigelman, and Sienna Lopez, who helped the Eagles go 13-4-2 this year.
In the postseason, NBP defeated St. John’s Paul II Academy 5-0 before beating Coral Springs Charter 2-1 in penalty kicks.
“It felt so good to win another district championship this year,” Katz said. “Our team worked so hard for this, and we had a lot of new players this year, so I’m glad they also got to experience it.”
In 14 games this season, Katz has recorded two goals and eight assists after returning after tearing her ACL. This year, Cohen has recorded two assists, while Bigelman and Lopez have helped the defense allow only 21 goals in 19 games and record seven shutouts.
The rest of the NBP soccer team consists of Zoie Brown, Annabelle Strati, Isabella Cancelier, Camryn Berger, Lyla Tarfaro, Leah Finkelman, Sean Pereira, Laila O’Toole, Lila Brown, Ivory Edgecomb, Ella Munoz, Catarina Bastos, Leighton Tafaro, Yaira Espinosa, Sophia Souza, Kendall Watts, and Issabella Souza.
Next, the Eagles will again face off against Coral Springs Charter in the Regional Quarterfinals. The Eagles come in as the two seed while CSC is the seven seed. Kickoff is set for Tuesday, February 8 at 7 p.m.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2023.03.19Coconut Creek and Monarch Compete in BCAA Track and Field Championship
- News2023.03.17North Broward Prep Tennis Teams Combine For 9 Early Season Wins
- News2023.03.17North Broward Prep’s Alex Wigginton Makes College Pick
- News2023.03.13Michael Frederick’s Overtime Goal Lifts Florida Junior Panthers to State Championship