By: Matt Rothman
Former Marjory Stoneman Douglas quarterback and Coral Springs resident Tyler Goodman were among six student-athletes from the Commonwealth Coast Conference to receive the Senior Perseverance and Achievement Award.
Goodman’s honor was in part for his perseverance while a student at Marjory Stoneman Douglas during the school shooting.
“My experience at Douglas was fun up till that day,” said Goodman. “We tried to chug along, but we were all hurt by it. Before that, it was an amazing high school experience. I met so many great people, coaches, teachers.”
Goodman began playing football in Fayetteville, Georgia, before moving to Coral Springs when he was nine years old. He played for the Coral Springs Chargers and competed against several future NFL players in Jerry Jeudy and Trevon Grimes. He had the chance to play for Head Coach Willis May, Quentin Short, and Aaron Feis in high school.
He began his collegiate football career just months later at Nichols College in Massachusetts. Three years later, he made his first career start on Senior Day in their 37-3 loss, wearing number 17 for those that lost their lives.
He threw for 84 yards against the eventual CCC Champion Endicott College and completed 12 of 22 passes. Goodman has 137 yards passing this season after throwing for 2,283 yards and 21 touchdown passes in high school.
“It was cool getting to start my last game,” Goodman added. “It’s amazing to be honored with the award from the Commonwealth Coast Conference. I know everyone back home would be proud of me.”
Next, Goodman hopes to get into coaching after graduating. His dream is to coach in Division I football for a Power-5 conference.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2023.03.19Coconut Creek and Monarch Compete in BCAA Track and Field Championship
- News2023.03.17North Broward Prep Tennis Teams Combine For 9 Early Season Wins
- News2023.03.17North Broward Prep’s Alex Wigginton Makes College Pick
- News2023.03.13Michael Frederick’s Overtime Goal Lifts Florida Junior Panthers to State Championship