A Message from Sheriff Gregory Tony:
The holiday season is upon us. This time of year should bring you and your loved ones joy and cheer. Unfortunately, with all the distractions, shopping and traveling, criminals look for opportune moments to take advantage of you.
At the Broward Sheriff’s Office, we want to ensure you are safe from harm this holiday season. Here are some important safety tips to help protect you from becoming a victim:
- When shopping, be aware of your surroundings and park in a well-lit area.
- Never carry large amounts of cash with you.
- Conduct ATM transactions in safe locations during the daytime.
- Avoid leaving valuables in your vehicle.
- Avoid leaving shopping bags, even if they are empty, in your vehicle.
- Incorporate the 9 PM Routine into your schedule as a nightly reminder to check your vehicle for any valuables while ensuring the doors to your vehicle are safely locked.
- Remember BSO’s district offices can serve as safe havens for online buyers and sellers to meet. Contact your local BSO district office for assistance. A list of district offices can be found on www.sheriff.org/LE.
PROTECT YOUR IDENTITY
- Only shop online with trusted companies.
- Pay for online purchases with a credit card instead of a debit card.
- Do not click on unknown links that come through via email or text message.
PROTECT YOUR HOME
- Lock your doors.
- Use timers to operate lights at night.
- Consider installing a home security system.
- While you’re away, ask someone to retrieve your packages if you are expecting a home delivery and have someone you trust check on your home.
If you are going out of town, consider signing up for BSO’s free Vacation Home Watch Program. Deputies, a community service aide, or volunteers will check on your residence for signs of a break-in or suspicious activity. To participate, call or stop by your local BSO district office.
Let’s all do our part to ensure we have a safe and merry holiday season. Happy holidays from our BSO family to yours!
Service Equals Reward
Sheriff Gregory Tony
Certain Broward cities like Coconut Creek, Hallandale Beach, Pembroke Pines, Sunrise, Plantation, Davie, Margate, Miramar, Lauderhill, Lighthouse Point, and Coral Springs maintain their police departments; however, BSO does provide communications and dispatch services to the following cities: Central Broward, Cooper City, Dania Beach, Deerfield Beach, Ft Lauderdale-Hollywood Int’l Airport, Lauderdale-By-The-Sea, Lauderdale Lakes, North Lauderdale, Oakland Park, Parkland, Pembroke Park, West Park, Pompano Beach, Port Everglades, Tamarac, Weston and unincorporated West Broward.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.