By: Matt Rothman
With the game tied at one in the bottom of the ninth, Parkland’s own Anthony Rizzo ended it with a walk-off home run Thursday night for the New York Yankees.
With that, the Yankees beat the Tampa Bay Rays 2-1 for the team’s seventh straight win. For Rizzo, it was his 16th home run of the season. He also had the game-tying single in the sixth inning.
ANTHONY RIZZO WALKOFF HOME RUN! YANKEES SWEEP THE RAYS! pic.twitter.com/HFBwkyIpi3
— Talkin' Yanks (@TalkinYanks) June 17, 2022
“I felt like I took a good swing on the fastball on the first pitch,” Rizzo said. “Haven’t seen it previously. Then he threw me a cutter which I felt I took well. Just felt good about taking a free swing and not doing too much, and luckier it went over.”
With the win, the Yankees extend their lead in the American League East to ten games with a record of 47-16. Rizzo is also looking to make it back to the All-Star Game for the first time since 2016 and for the fourth time of his career.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2023.03.26Monarch High School’s Brayden Slade Commits to Dream School
- News2023.03.19Coconut Creek and Monarch Compete in BCAA Track and Field Championship
- News2023.03.17North Broward Prep Tennis Teams Combine For 9 Early Season Wins
- News2023.03.17North Broward Prep’s Alex Wigginton Makes College Pick