By: Matt Rothman
Sports are heating up at Monarch High School, with the boys soccer team advancing to the District Final and boys and girls basketball teams holding Senior Night on Thursday.
The boys soccer team picked up a 3-1 win over Coral Springs High School, with Rudy Augusto scoring all three goals. The Knights came into the tournament as the two seed after going 10-6-2 this season.
“It was a great team win and if we play our game we can play with anyone. We are excited for the opportunity to play in the district final on Monday.
Next, they will face Marjory Stoneman Douglas in the District Final on Monday, Jan. 30, at 4 p.m. The Knights beat MSD to open the season, but the Eagles won 3-0 over Coral Glades in the District Semifinals
The girls basketball team held Senior Night and honored Kayla Cortez, Olivia Aponte, Haylie Casimis, Jaiden Guishard, and Christie Boisrond. The Knights fell to South Plantation High School 53-27 but head into the postseason with a record of 13-7.
Monarch will play Spanish River Community High School in the first round of the District Tournament on Monday, Jan. 31, at 6 p.m. the winner of this game will play either Marjory Stoneman Douglas or Park Vista High School in the semifinals.
Troy Bitetto, Anthony Santmauro, and Peter Sziranyi were honored for the boys basketball team before they fell 57-52 against Hallandale High School. The Knights finished the regular season with a record of 5-14. Their wins came against Nova, Coral Springs Charter, Hollywood Hills, Coconut Creek, and Miramar High School. They will await to see who they will play in the District Tournament when the brackets get released on Tuesday, Jan. 31.
Got News in Coconut Creek? Send it Here. Keep reading NW Broward County’s #1 News Sites: Parkland Talk, Coconut Creek Talk, Coral Springs Talk, Margate Talk, and Tamarac Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2023.03.19Coconut Creek and Monarch Compete in BCAA Track and Field Championship
- News2023.03.17North Broward Prep Tennis Teams Combine For 9 Early Season Wins
- News2023.03.17North Broward Prep’s Alex Wigginton Makes College Pick
- News2023.03.13Michael Frederick’s Overtime Goal Lifts Florida Junior Panthers to State Championship