By Ryan Yousefi
A construction project will make it easier for pedestrians and bikers to explore Coconut Creek.
The Highway and Bridge Maintenance Division has announced a comprehensive project to upgrade Lyons Road from the Sawgrass Expressway to the Hillsboro Canal/County Line.
According to the news release obtained by Coconut Creek Talk, the initiative, funded by the Penny for Transportation surtax, is set to begin on January 16 and aims for completion in October 2024, barring any unforeseen conditions or weather delays.
The project’s scope includes sidewalk improvements, the installation of ADA-accessible pedestrian ramps, road resurfacing, and the addition of bike lanes. The construction is thought to bring a substantial enhancement in both accessibility and safety for pedestrians and cyclists.
During the sidewalk improvement phase, motorists can expect a single vehicular traffic lane closure during off-peak hours. This might temporarily affect access to some businesses’ driveways and sidewalks, which is anticipated to last a few days.
The news release indicates that as the resurfacing operations commence, traffic will be maintained in both directions on Lyons Road but will be limited to one lane. It’s also noted that the route’s access to businesses and driveways will be preserved throughout the project.
To ensure the public is well-informed and can plan their travel accordingly, variable message signs will be strategically placed to alert motorists and pedestrians about the ongoing work and potential changes in traffic patterns.
Residents and visitors looking for updates on this project or information on other road improvement and construction activities across the county are encouraged to visit the county’s Around Town page.
- Ryan Yousefi has lived in Coral Springs for over 30 years. He has worked as a writer for multiples outlets over the years, including the Miami New Times where he has covered sports and culture since 2013. He holds a Bachelor's Degree and a Master's Degree in Business Healthcare Management from Western Governors University.
- NewsFebruary 19, 2024Absolute Queen Brings Bohemian Rhapsody to Life at the Township Performing Arts Center
- NewsFebruary 16, 2024Man Arrested After Ramming Police Car to Escape Traffic Stop
- NewsFebruary 15, 2024“I’m Going to Kill You”: Domestic Dispute Escalates into Gun Threat at Cinema
- News Service of FloridaFebruary 11, 2024“Do You Want to Die?”: Pregnant Woman Held Captive and Assaulted by Boyfriend