By: Matt Rothman
The Coconut Creek High School football team defeated Western High School 20-15.
Western came in as the nation’s 63rd-ranked team but fell for the first time this year. The Cougars improved to 2-1, with James Hayes opening the scoring with a five-yard touchdown run.
Western responded with nine unanswered points, but Elijah Cannon blocked a field goal before halftime, and the Cougars came out of the break with a nine-play driving ending with a four-yard rushing touchdown from Nimari Brantley to put Coconut Creek up by five. Jahar Brown then returned an interception for a touchdown for the final score. Hostzclaw finished the game with 30 carries for 102 yards.
Coconut Creek will play their next game on Friday, September 14, against Plantation High School. The Colonels are 3-0 this year and have outscored their opponents 156-31 this year. They beat the Cougars 21-14 in their only meeting last year.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- NewsSeptember 29, 2023Coconut Creek High School Football Falls Just Short Against 3rd Ranked Team in The Country
- NewsSeptember 23, 2023Coconut Creek Baseball Player Kiernan O’Neill Makes College Pick
- NewsSeptember 23, 2023Coconut Creek Football Records Fourth Win: Girls Volleyball Wins First 2 Matches
- NewsSeptember 15, 2023Coconut Creek High School Football Records 3rd Win; Cross Country Team Begins Season