By: Jen Russon
Residents of Aston Gardens at Parkland Commons are busily preparing for what Activities Coordinator, Ellyn Fishbach, hopes will be a hugely successful fundraiser for the nonprofit organization Vets Helping Heroes.
Fishbach said 12 independent living residents are meeting with her weekly to plan and create inventory for the silent auction. Residents of assisted living will also be joining the efforts.
“I’m their mentor, but this is a resident-driven project, and like other fundraisers we’ve worked on, the success of our silent auction is due to the hard work of our residents,” said Fishbach.
All proceeds earned at the May 22 event will train service dogs for disabled veterans — a charity that appears to highly motivate Aston Garden’s residents.
“Last month, we had ‘Vets Helping Heroes’ service dogs visit us. The ballroom was packed! Standing room only,” said Fishbach.
She added some of the baskets worth bidding for, including a Le Creuset soup pot and other high-quality kitchen items. Royal Dalton china and Madame Alexander dolls are some of the other wares for auction.
The residents and their families are either donating these items or creating them themselves in the case of one resident who makes jewelry.
Since March, Fisbach’s service outreach committee has planned a few unique features for their silent auction, including a candy table run by residents’ grandchildren.
Children of Aston Gardens staff will also sell candy at the event, where residents are running the silent auction from start to finish.
The bidding is anonymous. The event is open to the public and free to attend. Cash or check payments are due upon receipt of items.
The silent auction is scheduled for Sunday, May 22, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Aston Gardens at Parkland Commons on 5999 N University Drive.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Jen Russon is a freelance writer and English Language Arts teacher. She has published two novels to Amazon Kindle and lives in Coral Springs with her family.
- Events2022.04.25Anthony’s Coal Fired Pizza Holds ‘Give-Back Night’, for Westglades Middle
- Schools2022.04.252 Memorial Scholarships Created For Parkland Resident and Good Samaritan Who Died After Crash
- Events2022.04.05Aston Gardens Presents Silent Auction to Help Disabled Veterans, May 22
- Sponsored2021.11.22The Broward Health Coral Springs ‘Medical Staff Scholarship’ Now Accepting Applications