This article was previously published and is being featured as one of many of our top stories for 2023.
By: Matt Rothman
Coconut Creek High School is quickly regaining its form and has been one of the top football teams in the District.
They also have seen success from some of their graduates and have three former players, all brothers, set to play for new teams at the college and professional levels.
Trayvon Mullen, a 2016 graduate, is set to play his first season with the Baltimore Ravens alongside his cousin Lamar Jackson. Trayvon played four years at Clemson University and won two National Championships before being drafted in the second round by the Oakland Raiders. He was later traded to the Arizona Cardinals and was picked up on waivers by both the Dallas Cowboys and the Ravens in January.
Tiawan Mullen was a 2019 graduate from Coconut Creek. In his freshman season, he was an honorable mention and the team’s Defensive Newcomer of the Year after leading the conference with 13 pass breakups. Tiawan was then an All-American in his second year after recording 38 tackles and three interceptions. Despite not being selected in the 2023 NFL Draft, Tiawan signed with the Los Angeles Chargers as a free agent.
Trevell Mullen, who entered the transfer portal earlier this month after playing one year at Indians University, will be attending James Madison University in Virginia. A 2021 graduate, Trevell redshirted his first year with the Hoosiers. He was a four-star recruit in high school, ranked 177th prospect nationally, and helped the Cougars to a 9-3 record in 2021.
All three brothers are set to make their debut in the fall. The Ravens will host the Houston Texans in week one, while the Chargers will play the Rams. The Ravens and the Chargers are set to play each other in Week 12 on November 26.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsFebruary 15, 20242-Time State Champion A.J. Cutler Makes College Pick
- NewsFebruary 7, 2024Coconut Creek High Wraps Up Winter Sports Season; Eye Success in the Spring
- NewsFebruary 4, 2024Monarch High School Cheerleading Team Places 3rd in State Championship
- NewsFebruary 2, 2024North Broward Prep Athletic Update: Girls Soccer Wins Districts, Historic Senior Night For Abelleira & More