By: Matt Rothman
Coconut Creek High School had a great week, highlighted by the football and volleyball teams.
The Cougars recorded an impressive win over Blanche Ely High School on Friday to hand the Tigers their first season loss.
Coconut Creek moved to 4-1, marking their best start since 2021. They will play Chaminada-Modonna High School in their next game on Friday, September 29, at 6 p.m. They come in with a record of 4-0 and rank as the second-best team in Florida and sixth in the nation.
The volleyball team officially began their season and recorded a pair of wins in their first two matches under their new head coach, Tanya Ferguson.
The Cougars beat Dillard 25-13, 25-10, 25-23 in their first match before winning five sets against Piper High School on Thursday.
Their team consists of Diana Deras, Juliana Santiago, Laila Downer, Rosa Cuellar, Keisha Julot, Janelle Monsplasir, Deisirae Board, Adelaida Castro Crucera, Nejma Robinson, Mika Petit-Homme, Chrislay Jean Baptise and Naijee Poudin.
Next, Coconut Creek will play Miramar on Wednesday, September 27 at 4:30 p.m. The Patriots are 5-6 this year and lost in four sets in their matchup against the Cougars in 2022.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsFebruary 29, 2024NBP Boys Basketball Historic Season Ends in Triple Overtime in State Semifinals
- NewsFebruary 28, 2024North Broward Prep Continues Domination With 3 Championships
- NewsFebruary 15, 20242-Time State Champion A.J. Cutler Makes College Pick
- NewsFebruary 7, 2024Coconut Creek High Wraps Up Winter Sports Season; Eye Success in the Spring