By: Matt Rothman
After committing to Erskine College in South Carolina, Marjory Stoneman Douglas State Champion Rolando Lujo is officially set to play college baseball in 2023.
Lujo said the opportunity meant a lot to him because he will have a chance to continue doing what he loves. “As a lot of uncommitted guys will tell you, it is a grind, and to finally find a home is a blessing.”
The slick-fielding infielder comes from a baseball family. His grandfather, Rennie Stennett, who recently passed away during the Eagles run to a Championship, was a World Series winner with the Pittsburgh Pirates.
Before the season shut down due to COVID-19, Lujo spent two seasons on the varsity baseball team despite only playing in eight games in 2020. Still, he hit .450, drove in a pair of RBI’s, and scored eight runs. As a junior, Lujo showed off his power in a limited number of at-bats. He hit his first varsity home run and also had five doubles and a triple.
His baseball career started, though, at a very young age. He played in the yard with his family and fell in love ever since. Then, he went on to play competitively in little league in Coral Springs and Coconut Creek.
Lujo says his decision to attend Erskine College came down to him deciding on a place he feels comfortable with and believes that attending a small school can help him become close with all his professors and classmates.
Erskine has produced 18 professional baseball players since 2005. A season ago, they went 23-20.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsDecember 2, 2023Coconut Creek and Monarch Face-Off in Soccer; Basketball Season Begins
- NewsNovember 25, 2023Coconut Creek High School’s Football Team Incredible Season Ends in Regional Final
- NewsNovember 17, 2023Coconut Creek Football Highlights Incredible Week to Advance to Regional Championship
- NewsNovember 11, 2023Coconut Creek Football Wins Playoff Opener; Soccer Teams Begin Season