By Ryan Yousefi
A man is facing several felony charges for assaulting police officers who intervened to prevent him from attacking his roommates with a knife.
On February 4, the Coconut Creek Police Department responded to the Country Lakes Mobile Home Park after 911 calls reported a man with a knife threatening multiple people in his residence.
According to the report, upon arrival, the suspect, later identified as Jose Helio Almeida, 48, of Coconut Creek, began also threatening police officers and resisted arrest, leading to a dangerous and tense standoff.
Before the officer’s arrival, Almeida, who allegedly had been threatening to kill his roommates while holding a knife, told law enforcement over the phone that he would disarm any officer who entered his residence and use their weapons to kill them.
Upon arrival, officers, fully equipped with department-issued gear and clear police insignia, gained consent from the homeowner to enter the property.
Announcing themselves as police, they approached Almeida’s bedroom, but the encounter turned violent when, during a pat-down, Almeida headbutted an officer, causing injury to his cheekbone.
The situation continued to intensify as Almeida was being escorted to a patrol vehicle, during which he kicked an officer in the knee and resisted arrest. He also spit on multiple officers, necessitating the use of leg restraints and a spit sock for the officers’ protection.
Almeida was eventually subdued, arrested, and transported to the Broward County Main Jail.
- Ryan Yousefi has lived in Coral Springs for over 30 years. He has worked as a writer for multiples outlets over the years, including the Miami New Times where he has covered sports and culture since 2013. He holds a Bachelor's Degree and a Master's Degree in Business Healthcare Management from Western Governors University.
- NewsFebruary 19, 2024Absolute Queen Brings Bohemian Rhapsody to Life at the Township Performing Arts Center
- NewsFebruary 16, 2024Man Arrested After Ramming Police Car to Escape Traffic Stop
- NewsFebruary 15, 2024“I’m Going to Kill You”: Domestic Dispute Escalates into Gun Threat at Cinema
- News Service of FloridaFebruary 11, 2024“Do You Want to Die?”: Pregnant Woman Held Captive and Assaulted by Boyfriend