By Matt Rothman
The Marjory Stoneman Douglas football team defeated Coral Springs High School 34-0 in the annual Pig Bowl Monday Night for the seventh straight time.
Originally scheduled for Thursday, the game was moved back four days due to Hurricane Ian, but that didn’t prevent CSHS Principal Vivian Suarez from having to kiss the pig following the game. The victory for the Eagles was their second of the year and first since Week 1 against McArthur High School.
“It was a big win,” said Head Coach Quentin Short. “Always great to win Pig Bowl, plus we needed a win after three tough losses with the last two on the final possession of the game.”
Coming into the game, running backs Clayton Cannon Jr and Justin Spano each ranked in the top ten in Broward County in rushing yards. Between the two, they had rushed for 879 yards and scored nine touchdowns. That trend would continue with Cannon scoring his seventh touchdown of the season and also adding a two-point conversion in the victory.
Ryan Spallina threw three touchdown passes and also rushed for one. Charles Dellaira caught two of the touchdown passes while Tucker Jean scored one. CSHS dropped to 2-3 under first-year Head Coach Fred Flowers. Both teams will have just three days to prepare for their next game. The Eagles return home to play Jupiter High School while the Colts face off against another rival in Coral Glades on Friday, Oct. 7 at 7 p.m.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 Award-Winning News Source, Parkland Talk. Don’t miss reading Coral Springs Talk, Margate Talk, and Tamarac Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2023.05.26Coconut Creek Track and Field Competes in States for 1st Time Since 2018
- News2023.05.24North Broward Prep Student Named National Merit Finalist; 3 Seniors Announce College Picks
- News2023.05.05North Broward Prep Varsity and Middle School Baseball Win Championship; Former Star Makes MLB Debut
- News2023.04.213 Local Football Players Announce Commitment; 5 Players Selected to Showcases