By: Matt Rothman
Marjory Stoneman Douglas star Andres Barraza officially committed to playing golf in college.
The senior is set to attend Bucknell University after graduating from MSD in the spring of 2022 and will join a program with three top-ten performances this season, including a first-place victory at the Howard Bison Invitational in Maryland.
“It’s always been a huge goal of mine to play college golf ever since I started playing,” said Barraza. “It’s extremely rewarding to know that all the hard work and practice paid off, and I’ll be headed off next year to compete for a great team.”
Barraza, who resides in Parkland, started to play golf when he was five years old and began to take it extremely seriously roughly three years later. Barraza recently competed for the Eagles in the State Competition and finished 24th.
His best score came at the 1st Alt U.S. Naples Qualifier, where he shot a 65 and 70. Barraza also recorded a 66 at Stone Creek and a pair of ’70s at Osprey Point, which is the same course he recorded his only hole in one.
Barraza says the decision to attend Bucknell came down to their practice facilities and their University-owned golf course, walking distance from the dorms. He also has a ton of respect for Head Coach Bonney.
“He isn’t only an amazing coach but a great person,” Barraza added. “From when I first started talking to him, it was clear that he helps his players be successful not only on the golf course but outside as well.
Barraza also had the chance to meet the team when he visited with his family earlier this year.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsDecember 2, 2023Coconut Creek and Monarch Face-Off in Soccer; Basketball Season Begins
- NewsNovember 25, 2023Coconut Creek High School’s Football Team Incredible Season Ends in Regional Final
- NewsNovember 17, 2023Coconut Creek Football Highlights Incredible Week to Advance to Regional Championship
- NewsNovember 11, 2023Coconut Creek Football Wins Playoff Opener; Soccer Teams Begin Season