By: Matt Rotman
For the first time in school history, the Marjory Stoneman Douglas Junior Reserve Officers Training Corps (JROTC) varsity team won the State Championship.
After coming in second in Districts, the Eagles Battalion Raiders came in first out of 50 schools.
Team members include Chris Krok, Arthur Amador, Gustavo Laboy, Patrick Collins, Brandon Foote, Gabriel Zapata, Jacob Beavin, Bianca Gonzales, Lilly Velasco, Brittany Bean, Grace Mackenzie, and Ava Bonilla.
Held at Camp Flaming Arrow near Tampa, the event began with a 2.5-mile run before switching to a rope bridge, followed by the tire flip before running a mile on the track with and without weights.
The last event was an obstacle course where they crawled through nets, carried a canoe, and ran around the course and back.
Despite having three competitors graduating this year, they will return a strong team for the start of the 2022 season.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsDecember 2, 2023Coconut Creek and Monarch Face-Off in Soccer; Basketball Season Begins
- NewsNovember 25, 2023Coconut Creek High School’s Football Team Incredible Season Ends in Regional Final
- NewsNovember 17, 2023Coconut Creek Football Highlights Incredible Week to Advance to Regional Championship
- NewsNovember 11, 2023Coconut Creek Football Wins Playoff Opener; Soccer Teams Begin Season