By: Matt Rothman
Both the Marjory Stoneman Douglas boys and girls soccer teams are off to terrific starts, combining to go 10-1-2 to begin the year.
MSD is coming off one of their most dominating performances this season after a 4-0 win over Western High School.
The Eagles outscored their opponents 17-1 with wins over Fort Lauderdale, Monarch, Pembroke Pines Charter, and J.P. Taravella. Their only loss was 2-1 on Nov. 16 against Cypress Bay.
‘I think they are progressing well,” said Head Coach Christian Chacon. “We are starting to connect, and your team chemistry is getting better as we build this team into what we want.”
Next, MSD will not play again until January 4, when they host Nova High School at 7 p.m.
The girl’s team is now 5-0-2 and had their last win over Western High School. Kendall Slack scored the lone goal assisted by Layla Segelnick, while Carly Brodsky and Ella Stevens earned the shutout in net.
Earlier this year, the Eagles scored at least eight goals with wins over Fort Lauderdale, Monarch, and J.P. Taravella High School. They also defeated Cypress Bay 1-0 and settled for draws against Pembroke Pines Charter and Cardinal Gibbons High School
“The girls are working hard to improve and get better with every opportunity they are given, whether it be in training or the games,” said Head Coach Laura Rountree. “We still have a lot of work to do, but I’m proud of their work ethic and team camaraderie.”
Next, the Eagles will play North Broward Preparatory School on Wednesday, December 16, at 6 p.m.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsDecember 2, 2023Coconut Creek and Monarch Face-Off in Soccer; Basketball Season Begins
- NewsNovember 25, 2023Coconut Creek High School’s Football Team Incredible Season Ends in Regional Final
- NewsNovember 17, 2023Coconut Creek Football Highlights Incredible Week to Advance to Regional Championship
- NewsNovember 11, 2023Coconut Creek Football Wins Playoff Opener; Soccer Teams Begin Season