By: Matt Rothman
Coming off their greatest season in school history, the Monarch High School football team officially had four players sign to play at the next level.
A.J. Hairston is now signed to play at Umass after his incredible high school career. He played three years on varsity and helped the Knights win back-to-back District Championships along with their first Regional Title in school history. Hairston threw for 9,897 yards and had 94 touchdowns while the team combined to win 24 games.
Gabriel Birnbaum was a star on the defensive line for Monarch and will be playing at Florida Atlantic University. Birnbaum had 21.5 sacks as a senior and finished third in the team in tackles with 80. He finished his high school career with 35.5 sacks, 142 tackles, and three forced fumbles.
Holden Zeltner will also attend Florida Atlantic University and was an anchor on the offensive line along with Melvin Puckett, who will attend Bethune Cookman University. They helped block for a Monarch rushing attack that ran for 2,353 yards and threw for 4,442 yards.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsFebruary 15, 20242-Time State Champion A.J. Cutler Makes College Pick
- NewsFebruary 7, 2024Coconut Creek High Wraps Up Winter Sports Season; Eye Success in the Spring
- NewsFebruary 4, 2024Monarch High School Cheerleading Team Places 3rd in State Championship
- NewsFebruary 2, 2024North Broward Prep Athletic Update: Girls Soccer Wins Districts, Historic Senior Night For Abelleira & More