By: Matt Rothman
In only her second game with North Broward Prep, Riley Weiss set a school record with 50 points in the Eagles’ 83-44 win over Boca Raton Christian High School on Nov. 18.
Weiss, signed to play at Columbia University, also set the school record with nine three-pointers and tied it with 12 steals.
Transferring to North Broward Prep for her senior year after starting her high school career in New York with Hewlett High School, Weiss was the Long Island Class A Player of the Year, 1st Team All Long Island, All-State Selection, Conference Player of the Year, had over 2,000 points, and made the most threes on Long Island.
I am so excited to announce my commitment to Columbia university! Huge thanks to @CUCoachG @CUCoachTy @ABassetti and @CyLippold for this opportunity! Go lions 💙🦁 pic.twitter.com/HqQBhbM17A
— Riley Weiss (@rileyweiss_) October 26, 2022
“She was locked in from the moment the game started,” said Head Coach Gardner Michel. “She had great ball pressure to force steals and was finishing at the basket and knocked down every shot from beyond the three-point line.”
Alexa Schwartz also shined, adding 12 points, seven assists, six steals, and six rebounds. Kaydie Sturm added nine points and had eight rebounds and four assists. Both those players were All-County selections, while Mia Leddung was also All-County last year.
Coach Gardner and the rest of his coaching staff, consisting of Jeff Weiss, Kayla Kelly, and Anthony Capra, said they were also able to get their win by taking care of the basketball and playing solid team defense.
Their team consists of Samantha Edelson, Gemma Clouse, Kylie Cohen, Ella Scheckner, Marissa Krumholz, Meadow Henningsen, Ella Rosen, Alexa Schwartz, Jiayi Zhou, Ana Abelleira, and Makena Longo.
The Eagles improved their record to 1-1 after winning 12 games a season ago. Next, NBP plays Gulliver Prep on Tuesday, Nov. 29 at 7 p.m. The. Raiders are 2-1 this year with wins over Marathon and Reagan High School, with their loss coming against Benjamin High School. These two teams met last year, with Gulliver Prep winning 89-57.
Got News in Coconut Creek? Send it Here. Keep reading NW Broward County’s #1 News Sites: Parkland Talk, Coconut Creek Talk, Coral Springs Talk, Margate Talk, and Tamarac Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2023.05.26Coconut Creek Track and Field Competes in States for 1st Time Since 2018
- News2023.05.24North Broward Prep Student Named National Merit Finalist; 3 Seniors Announce College Picks
- News2023.05.05North Broward Prep Varsity and Middle School Baseball Win Championship; Former Star Makes MLB Debut
- News2023.04.213 Local Football Players Announce Commitment; 5 Players Selected to Showcases