By: Matt Rothman
Head Coach Brian Staubly has another special softball team at Marjory Stoneman Douglas.
After making it to the District Final a year ago, the Eagles are playing extremely well-entering Spring Break. MSD is currently 5-3 this year and has wins over Deerfield Beach, American Heritage, Monarch, and Coral Springs High School this season.
They also nearly pulled off a dramatic win against a very talented school from Texas, coming to Florida to face some of the best teams in Broward County. This season, their only other losses came against two teams with winning records in Fort Lauderdale and Western High School.
Offensively, the Eagles are hitting .310 as a team. Victoria Diaz leads the team with her .609 batting average and ten runs batted in. Jeysne Espinal is responsible for two of the three teams’ home runs. Olivia Alvarez also hit a homer while Arianna Reynolds, Kylie Sack, Evelyn Patron, Maya Medrano, and Lucia Perez have RBIs.
This year, Espinal is 3-1 on the mound with an ERA of 2.42. She has also struck out 42 hitters in 35.2 innings, while her teammate Victoria Diaz has allowed only one earned run in six innings. Bianca Guerra has recorded seven of her 13 outs by the punch out.
“We definitely had some quality wins since the beginning of the season,” said Coach Staubly. “Our pitching has been strong, but we need to hit the ball better. The defense struggled in our last game against St Johns, but for the most part, it has been okay.”
The Eagles will be off for Spring Break this week but will have a matchup against J.P. Taravella High School in their first game back on March 30. The Trojans are 6-0 this season and have scored 98 runs.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2023.03.19Coconut Creek and Monarch Compete in BCAA Track and Field Championship
- News2023.03.17North Broward Prep Tennis Teams Combine For 9 Early Season Wins
- News2023.03.17North Broward Prep’s Alex Wigginton Makes College Pick
- News2023.03.13Michael Frederick’s Overtime Goal Lifts Florida Junior Panthers to State Championship