By Matt Rothman
North Broward Prep’s girls soccer star player Leah Finkelman is officially on her way to competing in college with the University of Pennsylvania after graduating in 2023.
Finkelman, who scored 34 goals in 23 games this season to break the school record for most goals in a season, has been working hard to become the best player she can, despite the arduous recruiting process over the last few years.
“Knowing I will be playing college soccer is an indescribable feeling and one that I’m so grateful for,” Finkelman said. “Division I college soccer has been a dream of mine since I was little, and it’s amazing to have made that dream a reality.”
The Eagles are coming off a historic season where they won both District and Regional Tournaments. In Finkelman’s three years on the varsity team, she has helped the team win 43 games along with scoring 77 goals and recording 192 points.
Finkelman began playing soccer when she was five. After four years of Coral Springs rec soccer, she played nine years of travel soccer with Coral Springs United, AC Delray, FC Florida, Weston FC, Sunrise Prime FC, and FC Prime. Her lifelong memories include meeting some of her closest friends and competing in Israel and Costa Rica.
While Finkelman drew interest from many top universities, one major factor that went into her decision came down to finding a high academic school
“UPenn is a perfect combination of high academics and competitive soccer,” Finkelman added. “When I went to campus for my visit, I absolutely loved it. The players were so welcoming, the campus was beautiful, and the environment the coaches created was one I knew I wanted to be in.”
While Finkelman still has one more year left on the varsity soccer team, she will compete for a school that went 9-5-2 in 2021.
Got News in Coconut Creek? Send it Here. Keep reading NW Broward County’s #1 News Sites: Parkland Talk, Coconut Creek Talk, Coral Springs Talk, Margate Talk, and Tamarac Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2023.03.19Coconut Creek and Monarch Compete in BCAA Track and Field Championship
- News2023.03.17North Broward Prep Tennis Teams Combine For 9 Early Season Wins
- News2023.03.17North Broward Prep’s Alex Wigginton Makes College Pick
- News2023.03.13Michael Frederick’s Overtime Goal Lifts Florida Junior Panthers to State Championship