By: Matt Rothman
Rachel Weiner of North Broward Prep has been one of the top players in the state for much of her varsity career and is officially on her way to playing college lacrosse at Northwestern University in Illinois.
“It feels surreal,” said Weiner. “All the hard work and dedication I put in to get to this point is finally paying off.”
Weiner decided to play lacrosse in second grade. Her dad, Jonathan, who became her coach, signed her up for rec lacrosse. Soon after, Rachel fell in love with the sport and started to play travel for the Florida Select.
“Obviously, there can be a reputation on being the ‘coach’s daughter,’ but he really treated me like any other player on the team,” Rachel added. “My dad has pushed me to a new level far beyond what I could ever imagine, and I am forever thankful for that.”
Jonathan also played college lacrosse at Clark University in Massachusetts. Rachel’s decision to attend Northwestern came down to finding a Big-10 Academic school with a top-5 lacrosse program, superb facilities, coaches that already feel like family, and a chance to win a national championship.
Northwestern is currently ranked third in the nation with a record of 12-2.
Got News in Coconut Creek? Send it Here. Keep reading NW Broward County’s #1 News Sites: Parkland Talk, Coconut Creek Talk, Coral Springs Talk, Margate Talk, and Tamarac Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2023.03.3017 North Broward Prep Student-Athletes Win Conference Awards
- News2023.03.307 Student-Athletes From Monarch and Coconut Creek Receive Conference Awards
- News2023.03.28North Broward Prep Hockey Wins 2 Games in National Tournament
- News2023.03.26Monarch High School’s Brayden Slade Commits to Dream School