By: Matt Rothman
Rachel Weiner of North Broward Prep has been one of the top players in the state for much of her varsity career and is officially on her way to playing college lacrosse at Northwestern University in Illinois.
“It feels surreal,” said Weiner. “All the hard work and dedication I put in to get to this point is finally paying off.”
Weiner decided to play lacrosse in second grade. Her dad, Jonathan, who became her coach, signed her up for rec lacrosse. Soon after, Rachel fell in love with the sport and started to play travel for the Florida Select.
“Obviously, there can be a reputation on being the ‘coach’s daughter,’ but he really treated me like any other player on the team,” Rachel added. “My dad has pushed me to a new level far beyond what I could ever imagine, and I am forever thankful for that.”
Jonathan also played college lacrosse at Clark University in Massachusetts. Rachel’s decision to attend Northwestern came down to finding a Big-10 Academic school with a top-5 lacrosse program, superb facilities, coaches that already feel like family, and a chance to win a national championship.
Northwestern is currently ranked third in the nation with a record of 12-2.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsFebruary 29, 2024NBP Boys Basketball Historic Season Ends in Triple Overtime in State Semifinals
- NewsFebruary 28, 2024North Broward Prep Continues Domination With 3 Championships
- NewsFebruary 15, 20242-Time State Champion A.J. Cutler Makes College Pick
- NewsFebruary 7, 2024Coconut Creek High Wraps Up Winter Sports Season; Eye Success in the Spring