By: Stanley Spiegelman
As arts education continues to hide behind the shadows of other subjects, Westglades Middle School has found ways to integrate music programs for students.
Organized by Christian Gordon, Director of Bands, and Kalyn Todd, Associate Director of Bands, Jump Start Band Camp aims to bridge the gap between existing knowledge of music and encourages students to participate in learning about the program.
“This was our second year running the Jump Start program, with participation doubling from year one,” said Gordon.
All Broward County Middle Schools were invited to the September 10 event, with over 200 kids participating. Students were paired with one of 14 professional musicians by instrument, helping the students learn their instrument.
Kendra Fletcher, a volunteer at Westglades Middle School in Parkland, is excited about the future opportunity music provides to the students and wants parents of elementary schoolers to know about upcoming camps like this.
“The event held last Saturday showcased the initiative Westglades Middle School is taking for more students to participate in the program, regardless of their musical background,” she added.
Parents of elementary school students that feed into Westglades Middle School can sign-up for more information regarding future camps using the form – here.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 Award-Winning News Source, Parkland Talk. Don’t miss reading Coral Springs Talk, Margate Talk, and Tamarac Talk.
- Stanley Spiegelman is a recent graduate from the University of Miami, where he received his bachelor of science in journalism and public relations. He plans to attend graduate school in the Spring of 2023 to obtain a master's in management.
- Events2022.11.13Registration Open for The Solomon Leadership Program
- Events2022.11.08City of Coconut Creek Homegrown Concert Series Presents Jimmy Stowe and The Stowaways
- Events2022.10.31Registration Opens Soon for Parkland’s Annual Hayride and Bonfire Event
- Events2022.10.14Parkland’s Clues in the Park Scavenger Hunt Begins October 22