By: Jen Russon
A brand new scholarship program launches at Broward Health Coral Springs this fall when physicians from the medical staff review committee award two scholarships each for $1,500 in cash.
The eligibility requirements for both scholarships are for students seeking a 4-year track medical profession such as pre-med, nursing, pharmacy, physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech pathology, and that they are in the top 5 percent of their class and have earned a 4.0 GPA or higher. The additional requirement is to be a local resident who lives within eight miles of the hospital or be a dependent of a hospital employee in a nonmanagement role.
Recipients will be chosen on the strength of a personal essay detailing why they want to pursue a healthcare career and submit two letters of recommendation.
The letters do not have to be written by a medical professional, so much as a mentor or role model, who sees the applicant’s potential as a future healthcare provider.
Dr. Tatiana Pestana said she and two of her colleagues, doctors Mitch Feldman and Heather Gabai-Hernandez, are not alone in creating this new scholarship. The hospital medical staff who funded the scholarships has a review committee of medical staff physicians who will carefully select the two scholarship recipients.
“We developed the idea during the pandemic, looking at scholarships as a way to give back and support future generations of healthcare providers, whether they be pharmacists, nurses, surgeons — there are many possibilities,” said Dr. Pestana.
She added the scholarship, being brand new, and still planned exactly when a ceremony takes place.
They’ll be accepting the scholarships now, through the Spring of 2022, when they make their announcement who the recipients are.
“We’re so excited,” said Dr. Pestana. “The medical team at Broward Health Coral Springs was looking for a specific way to help people in our community who want to do what we love doing.”
For more information on how to apply, contact the Medical Office at Broward Health Coral Springs.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Jen Russon is a freelance writer and English Language Arts teacher. She has published two novels to Amazon Kindle and lives in Coral Springs with her family.
- EventsApril 25, 2022Anthony’s Coal Fired Pizza Holds ‘Give-Back Night’, for Westglades Middle
- SchoolsApril 25, 20222 Memorial Scholarships Created For Parkland Resident and Good Samaritan Who Died After Crash
- EventsApril 5, 2022Aston Gardens Presents Silent Auction to Help Disabled Veterans, May 22
- SponsoredNovember 22, 2021The Broward Health Coral Springs ‘Medical Staff Scholarship’ Now Accepting Applications