By Ryan Yousefi
A routine patrol in a Walmart parking lot turned into a more complex situation as police officers discovered a man under the influence of alcohol hiding in a stolen vehicle.
On October 8, an officer from the Coconut Creek Police Department was sent to investigate a suspicious vehicle parked behind the hedges of the Walmart at 5571 West Hillsboro Boulevard.
Upon arrival, the officer found Sergio Reyes, 28, of Coral Springs, behind the vehicle’s wheel. During the initial contact, it became evident that Reyes was intoxicated, according to the police report, which indicated he was slurring his speech and had difficulty producing his driver’s license.
When asked about his location, Reyes mistakenly believed he was in Fort Lauderdale, showing further signs of impairment.
Additional officers arrived at the scene and attempted to give Reyes a field sobriety test, but he refused to cooperate or engage in any tasks.
Based on Reyes’s refusal to participate in the sobriety exercises, his refusal to provide a breath sample, and the extended time it took him to produce identification, it was determined that he was likely operating a motor vehicle under the influence of alcohol and/or a controlled substance. As a result, he was placed under arrest for DUI.
While processing Reyes, officers made another discovery – the vehicle Reyes was found in, a black 2016 Lexus, had been reported stolen out of Delray Beach.
Reyes was subsequently also charged with grand theft auto.
He was transported to the Broward County Main Jail and released after posting a $ 1,500 bond.
- Ryan Yousefi has lived in Coral Springs for over 30 years. He has worked as a writer for multiples outlets over the years, including the Miami New Times where he has covered sports and culture since 2013. He holds a Bachelor's Degree and a Master's Degree in Business Healthcare Management from Western Governors University.
- NewsFebruary 19, 2024Absolute Queen Brings Bohemian Rhapsody to Life at the Township Performing Arts Center
- NewsFebruary 16, 2024Man Arrested After Ramming Police Car to Escape Traffic Stop
- NewsFebruary 15, 2024“I’m Going to Kill You”: Domestic Dispute Escalates into Gun Threat at Cinema
- News Service of FloridaFebruary 11, 2024“Do You Want to Die?”: Pregnant Woman Held Captive and Assaulted by Boyfriend