By: Matt Rothman
Monarch Football Set to Play For District Championship: Defender Makes College Pick
The Knights come into the game with a record of 6-2, having lost their last game 35-19 against the number 11th-ranked team in the country in St. Thomas Aquinas High School. Monarch is currently 2-0 in District games, beating Marjory Stuntmen Douglas and Olympic Heights Community High School earlier this year. The Knights also have wins against Cedar Grove, Hallandale, Piper, and McArthur High School this year.
This would be Monarch’s second straight District Championship and third in school history. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.
The Knights also had a commitment from defender Logan Coelho. He is set to attend Culver-Stockton College in Missouri after he graduates from high school in the spring.
“It feels really good, knowing they I get to play the sport I love for longer and at a bigger level, Coelho said. “It truly is a blessing.”
Coelho started by playing flag football due to not some health complications that did not allow him to play any contact sports. However, as a sophomore, he was cleared and has only played with Monarch.
When looking at where to play in college, Coelho received an offer after talking to the coaching staff. Although he couldn’t visit the school, Coelho did an online visit and fell in love with the campus and facilities.
Still with one regular season game left and the postseason ahead, Coelho hopes to improve his strength, vision, and vertical movement before playing for a team that beat Missouri Baptist for their only win this year.
Also, former Monarch defender Jermaine Dalias is officially committed to the University of South Florida after helping Monarch win their second District Championship in school history. He recorded 64 tackles in nine games during the 2022 season.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsFebruary 15, 20242-Time State Champion A.J. Cutler Makes College Pick
- NewsFebruary 7, 2024Coconut Creek High Wraps Up Winter Sports Season; Eye Success in the Spring
- NewsFebruary 4, 2024Monarch High School Cheerleading Team Places 3rd in State Championship
- NewsFebruary 2, 2024North Broward Prep Athletic Update: Girls Soccer Wins Districts, Historic Senior Night For Abelleira & More